Friday, July 18, 2008

Chapter 80: A Matter of Expertise

~ "I guess we have a decision to make," said Takyle, looking back and forth between Andrew and Jaden. "Someone has to lead and set anchors. Andrew, of the three of us, you have the most experience rock climbing, with me next, but I'm worried about your stomach. I think that I should probably set."

Andrew looked at his hands.

"Ok, if you're comfortable doing that, Ta."

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence."

"You know I don't mean it like that. It's going to be a long climb. I've done more than either of you. I just think that it would really blow to die falling from a cliff after we've gotten this far. I trust you to get us to the top safely. I wanted to make sure that you were confident. You know that there's no room for second guessing yourself when you're climbing," said Andrew. Takyle crossed her arms and looked him up and down.

" I don't know if you were back peddling there, but if you were you did a pretty decent job."

Andrew gazed back seriously. "I wasn't. Jaden, I suggest that you go behind Takyle, and I'll be last. That way if you get stuck I might be able to help." Jaden nodded absently, tugging at the straps of his harness, testing their security.

"Do you want me to check it?" asked Andrew.

"Um, yeah, if you don't mind." Andrew stepped over and ran his hands quickly over the connections on Jaden's harness.

"Now listen," he said quietly. "This is going to be a tough climb, harder because we're carrying full packs, but we've practiced together and you'll do fine. Just keep the basics in mind. I taught you everything you need to know for this. Takyle will pick a good route, no need to worry about that. Keep your ropes taut and don't forget to clip in."

Jaden nodded. "I'm ok. I enjoyed it before."

"That's the spirit." Andrew gave Jaden a pat on the shoulder and pulled his ropes out of his pack before putting it back on. "I think we're ready Ta. Be careful, huh?"

"You know it." Takyle pulled her pack on, checked her ropes once more, and dusted her fingers in the little pouch of chalk on her belt. She looked upwards for a moment, choosing her path, and then began scaling the wall. She was a fast and decisive climber.

"If you want the honest truth, I've got a bit more time in, but she's as good as I am. Maybe better," Andrew murmured to Jaden when she was over their heads.

"Thanks," Takyle called down.

"And she has very good hearing," Andrew added, conspiratorially.

When Takyle was approximately ten feet from the ground she paused to place an anchor in the rock and clip in before continuing on. Andrew tapped Jaden's shoulder.

"It's all you. I'll be ten behind."

Jaden dusted his fingers and stepped up to the cliff. He looked over his shoulder, glancing once more back at the woods. In the shadows between trees he was sure he could see a blacker darkness lurking, out of reach of the sunlight. He quickly turned back to the wall, pushed those thoughts out of his head, and started climbing. ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's hope those evil monster things don't have their own climbing gear.

Renee Leyburn said...

We can keep our fingers crossed...