Monday, July 28, 2008

Chapter 83: Vantage Point

~ While Andrew and Jaden sat and gazed out over the storm-ravaged land below them, Takyle lay back on the rock with her face to the sky, eyes closed. Raindrops hit her eyelids and ran down her face like hundreds of tears. After some time had passed marveling at the elements raging around them, Jaden regained his senses.

"Hey guys... Is it exactly a good idea for us to be sitting up here, out in the open, on top of a mountain, in the middle of a lightning storm?"

Andrew shrugged. "Eh, truth be told I'm not too worried. It seems to be letting up a bit, and the main activity is off to the east anyway. And even if we wanted it, there's not a lot of cover up here."

"I suppose." Jaden pulled up his pant leg to inspect his knee. It was beginning to bruise and it seemed to Jaden that it had already swollen up. Below the knee his leg was bleeding slightly from a few superficial scrapes, but the bandage for where the hellbeast had stomped on him had actually protected the better part of his shin from the rock.

"Well aren't you lucky?" said Andrew. "You injured the same leg twice in one day. That leaves you with one good one!"

"Yes. I'm lucky. So very, very lucky," murmured Jaden dryly.

"Check this out." Andrew tilted his head back and pointed to his chin. Deep abrasions ran all along the underside of his jaw, from the right side of his face to the center of his chin. "I slipped and banged it on the rock. Bit my tongue something awful." He paused and his eyebrows drew together in overdone concern. "Be honest with me Jay. Is it bad? Will it... Will it mar my beautiful face forever?"

"Oh that's nothing." Takyle sat up and raised her arm to show its underside. "How's that for abrasions, huh?"

"Yeah ok, I guess she wins this one," conceded Andrew, after taking a long look at Takyle's bloodied arm.

"Well I also bent the corner of my fingernail back, and it really hurt. Surely that counts for something," Jaden added.

"Well if we're counting the small stuff now, then my stomach is killing me and I got some dust in my eye at one point," said Andrew. They looked at one another for a moment.

"Yeah, I guess Ta still wins," Jaden finally said. She grinned and pumped her fist.

"Yes! I'm awesome! At getting hurt... Alright guys, let's see if we can't find a little shelter somewhere to nurse our wounds and rest for a bit before we press on. Perhaps by that time the worst of this storm will be over too."

"I'd also suggest that we try to get a little drier so we don't get hypothermia or something equally as fun," added Jaden.

"Indeed," said Andrew. "By the way, good job picking the route there Boss."

"Why thank you Andrew; I enjoyed doing it. Well, up until that bit where it started raining real hard. You remember that bit?" asked Takyle.

"You mean the bit that's still going on right now?"

"Yep, that's the one!"

"Oh, that bit... I have very fond memories of that bit..."

"Yeah, there were some good times in that bit I guess... Like that one time I almost fell off the mountain!"

"Oh yeah! Man, we were so crazy back then!"

"I've got good news for you, Andrew," interjected Jaden, unclipping his harness. "You're still that crazy now." ~

No comments: