Friday, August 1, 2008

Chapter 84: Rock and a Hard Place

~ Cover on the mountain top was sparse at best, but after some scouting Andrew managed to locate a small outcropping of rock that created a sheltered nook. Plenty deep to get out of the wind and most of the rain, but shallow enough that it wasn't harboring any interesting animal life.

"Guys, over here. Think I found what we're looking for."

Jaden and Takyle hurried towards his voice and found him crouching below the rock.

"What do you think? Good enough?"

"Excellent!" said Takyle, bending her head to join him, and finally get out of the downpour.

"Are you sure there's nothing...cute in there?" asked Jaden, warily.

"Well I'm in here," replied Andrew, in a hurt tone of voice.

"Oh tee hee. I'm comin' in; I better not crawl over anything exciting." Jaden bent at the waist and edged into the small space and immediately noticed something.

"This nook doesn't look exactly natural to me, guys. The rock almost looks machined."

Takyle switched on her flashlight to get a closer look. "You may be right about that. Think it means anything?"

"Dunno. Is it going to make a difference to us staying here even if it does?"

"Probably not. We won't stick around long," said Takyle. Andrew sat down and leaned back against the rock, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Wow, that climb didn't do me any favors."

"You're face doesn't do me any favors," replied Jaden, perfunctorily.

"I'd say something about your mom here, but honestly, she's so hot I just can't speak ill of her," said Andrew without opening his eyes.

"Jaden, give me some antisep will you? And you'd best clean yourself up while you have time," said Takyle. Jaden unzipped his pack and handed her a couple of packets. Takyle quickly swabbed down the deep cuts on her arm and inspected the damage.

"Well that ain't hardly nothin'," she commented, borrowing one of Andrew's phrases. She sprinkled antiseptic powder over the cuts and then reached over and tipped up Andrew's chin. "Let me clean that up for you." Andrew laughed.

"Oh, now you're nursing me back to health; that's pretty hot."

"Yeah, don't get too used to it. I'm not much of a caregiver."

"Have you told you mom that? Because last time I saw the two of you together she seemed pretty set on having grandchildren."

"You mean the only time you saw the two of us together, and yes, I have told my mother not to hold her breath. Don't know that it did any good, but I did tell her," said Takyle. Andrew flinched as she cleaned the abrasions on his jaw.

"Full disclosure: what more could a mother ask for?"

"That's what I said," Takyle agreed with a nod. "I was very nice about it."

"I've no doubt Ta. You're the soul of discretion."

"Don't I know it." ~

No comments: